Our Rich History
From Craigmillar Boys' Club to Sandy's Community Centre
Craigmillar Boys' Club - the brainchild of the Watsonian's Pioneer Club and Watson's (Boy Scouts), led by Alexander (Sandie) Somerville.
The Beginning
The Craigmillar Boys' Club opened in October of 1935, where Sandie was chosen to be the first Club Leader. This started in a disused church hall located in Peffermill Road, where within a short time the club had 90 members taking part in a variety of sporting activities. Thirty members of the Watsonian's Pioneer Club helped get things going with volunteering to help run and organise activities.
Fundraising Success
Sufficient funds were raised from the Watson's Community, at home and worldwide for a separate, permanent building and to help run the club for the first five years.
New Building
The building was opened in 1939 at Craigmillar Castle Avenue, immediately the building was commandeered by the military as World War Two had just begun.
Building Returned
The building was returned to the club and flourished despite the lack in adult helpers due to the war.
Sandie Resigned
Sandie resigned as club leader.
Local Authority Funding
Local authorities were required to provisions for services, so funding came from Watson's school, Watsonians Club and Edinburgh Corporation.
Chronic Shortage
By 1960 the club was surviving, but had a chronic shortage of leaders. (Alexander (Sandie) Somerville died in 1961). A series of leaders were appointed, and in 1968 it got a full time experienced leader, Mr Headridge.
Funding Shift
By 1972 80% of the club's finance came from Edinburgh Corporation and the link with Watsonians Craigmillar Connection came to an end.
Council Lease
Craigmillar Boys' Club Trustees granted to the City of Edinburgh Council a 20 year lease, to occupy and maintain the property in the same use as before, thus, the Council took on all the duties of care that were owed to the users of the Centre, and the compliance with statutory requirements present and future.
Name Change
The building and surrounding land was still owned by the Trust but was leased to the City of Edinburgh on a 20 year lease which expired in 2004. In July 1996, the name was changed to Castleview Community Centre to reflect its evolution from a boys club to a community centre.
Sandy's Community Centre Today
The current picture is that the building is owned by the Craigmillar Boys' club, leased (on tacit relocation) to the City of Edinburgh Council who are responsible for the running and maintenance of the building, and until recently, organising the centre programme. The Centre Management Committee has responsibility for the running of all other activities within the centre.
Historical Moments
Original Building
The historic Craigmillar Castle Avenue location
Early Members
The first 90 members in 1935
Community Legacy
85+ years of serving Craigmillar
The Watsonian 1904 - 54
A Jubilee Volume - The Craigmillar Boys' Club 1935-54
The following pages have been extracted from the book "The Watsonian 1904â54", discovered by Bob Allan, Trustee, early in the year 2025.
These pages represent a short chapter entitled The Craigmillar Boys' Club 1935-54, the contributor being identified only by the initials A.M.M. This chapter describes the founding and early years of what is now "Sandy's Community Centre".
The Watsonian 1904-54/JRF/Jan.2025
The Craigmillar Boys' Club 1935-1954
"Boys' Clubs" said Lord Tweedsmuir, "bring all classes together on the common ground of youth."
He was addressing the crowd assembled in the School quadrangle at the opening, on 15th June 1935, of a Garden FĂȘte to raise funds for a boys' club at Craigmillar. It was to be sponsored by George Watson's and the Watsonian Club.
The idea of forming a boys' club in Craigmillar came from the Watsonian Rover Crew, who had, for many years previously carried on Scout troops and Cub packs in the Old Town. With the movement of population to the suburbs, the Rovers felt that, to maintain its contacts, it must move its centre. At the same time, they determined to expand the scope of their work beyond the limits of the Scout Movement and to draw support from wider resources than they themselves could deploy.
The measure of the support of the sponsors, on whom the Club was to rely, was at once apparent. At the Garden FĂȘtes held in 1935 and 1938, over ÂŁ3000 was raised. Watsonians all over sent donations. For the first five years of its existence, the running expenses of the Club were met almost entirely by the generosity of Watsonian subscribers. So many hands were held out to help the new Club that it would be invidious to mention names. Acknowledgements must, however, be made of the work of Mr John R Little, Dr John Orr, Messrs G M Byres, H J Findlay, and W A Robertson in arousing the enthusiasm of the many. To their names must be added those of David Bogle and Ian Campbell who consented to become respectively Treasurer and Secretary to the Board of Directors.
Important Contributors
Equally important was the finding of leaders. Sandie Somerville had been for many years the Scoutmaster of the Watson's Troop and had been one of those mainly responsible for the work of the Watsonian Scout Centre. To him, more than to anyone, the Club owes its existence, and he was an automatic choice as the first Club Leader. Watsonians seem to have a natural talent for leadership, and, prior to the war, the Club had no difficulty in mustering some forty Watsonian leaders. Most of them were University students or apprentices, who had little spare time from their studies yet found some time to give to the Club. Among those first leaders, whose enthusiasm and ability set the standard for Craigmillar leaders in later years, may be mentioned Norman Bruce, J L Blair, W N K M Crawford, J C Allan, and G O Horne.
Support from the School
If, in money and leaders, the main contribution had necessarily come from Watsonians, the contribution made by the School was one which it alone could give. The knowledge and experience possessed by schoolmasters of everything to do with boys is, of course, considerable, and that of headmasters prodigious. Three successive Headmasters and other members of the Staff have been Directors of the Club and have given freely of their specialized knowledge. The services of the Art Department and Mr A D Brown's film shows have also been much appreciated at Craigmillar. The contacts between Watson's and Craigmillar boys have been especially valuable to both. Meeting with boys of a totally different social background, whether at camp or on the playing field or at the Club parties, leads to the mutual understanding it is part of the function of the Club to encourage.
Formation of the Ladies' Committee
One unforeseen result of the first FĂȘte was the formation of the Ladies' Committee. The ladies, who had given their services on that occasion, were in no mood to terminate their work for the Club when the FĂȘte was over. They formed themselves into a committee, which, under the successive chairmanships of Mrs. Campbell, Mrs. H McPake, Mrs. Wallace, Mrs. Carmichael, and Mrs. R T McPake, and over numerous cups of tea, has organized Whist Drives to raise funds for the Club and has done yeoman service at Jumble Sales. Watsonians who have lent a wife or mother to the cause may take pride in the work of the Ladies' Committee.